Thursday, May 26, 2011

Exclusive Interview With Comedian "Spoken Reason



ASC:Where are you from?

SPOKEN:I was Born and raised in a small town called Bradenton, Florida. Right below Tampa on the map. Though I will never live there again, it's still a place I call home. I'm leading by example showing everyone from the city of Bradenton that you can make it out successful besides rapping and sports.

ASC: What age did you start to take Being A Comedian Serious?

SPOKEN:Age 20 on the Month of November is when I took being a Comedian serious. That was when I wanted to respect the craft of Comedy the right way by entering the game as a "Stand Up Comedian".

ASC: Who gave you the name “Spoken Reasons”

SPOKEN:Spoken Reasons is self explanatory, SPOKEN… Every word spoken from the (my) tongue has a REASON to it. I came up with that name in 2008 when I began Entertainment starting off as a Spoken Word Artist. It's a poet's name, but I decided to keep the name Spoken Reasons out of respect for my TRUE craft Spoken Word Poetry. As a poet I couldn't get everyone's attention to listen to me, so I included comedy to my resume just to get my message across. Spoken Word is what made me who I am Today. If it hadn't of been for Spoken Word, I wouldn't be a comedian Today.

ASC: What challenges do you face being a Comedian?

SPOKEN:Comedy is a natural gift to me. To myself it's very easy and simple. The only challenge I can honestly say I face as a Comedian is remaining consistent to the eye of the people. My faith is there, my hard work is there. Just remaining consistent is my only challenge that I face because at times I can become lazy and stop pushing. Which is why I force myself to drop a video twice a week, keeping my consistency.

ASC: Do you have any mainstream Comedians that you look up too?

SPOKEN:Most people would say Marin Lawrence, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and so on. The only Comedian I look up to isn't in the limelight like that, and he goes by the name of Arnez J. Dude is so full of energy and creativity. I literally spent years studying that man even way before I thought about doing comedy. His material and Stage presence is so one of the kind. He's one of the comedians where he doesn't mind breaking his neck or lighting himself on fire, as long as you laugh. And that's how I operate as well.

ASC: How do you feel about today’s Comedy scene ?

SPOKEN:Speaking from the African American Comedy, I say Today's Comedy isn't structured. You never see any young faces of Black Comedy. Yeah we had Lil JJ, but that's not good enough. Every 5-6yrs a new black star comedian is born. Chris Tucker, (5yrs later) Mike Epps, Katt Williams, and now Kevin Hart. I feel every since BET's Comic View has been taken away, no one knows about any new fresh faces of comedy. All they know are the one's the recognized from Def Comedy Jam or Comic View years ago. And Today those SAME older comedians continue to book/sell out shows. It's harder as a young comedian to inch a way in because we have no route. Which is why I decided to take the internet path and demand my attention with my OWN hard work. The only young comedian I can honestly say represents young comedy is Brandon T. Jackson. He's the leader of young comedy because he has the closest access and has been apart of numerous of movies/gigs since age 19.


ASC: Are you currently working on any new material?

SPOKEN:Every day I'm constantly working on new material. Which is why you see a new video posted every Sunday and Wednesday of the week. I have numerous of notepads/notebooks in the trunk of my car full of Stand Up Material and ideas.

ASC: Do you remember your first performance? How was that experience?

SPOKEN:My 1st performance ever was Spoken Word in 2008, the 1st time I touched the mic I received an standing ovation. When hitting the stage for the 1st time with Stand Up Comedy I receive the same as well. I actually entreated Stand Up Comedy in a 3 week competition. I later on end up winning $500, and that was just the beginning, the birth. Of course I was nervous, but once I touch the mic all of that flew out the window. It's do or die, that's my mindset. Nothing else matters!

ASC: Do you have any upcoming events?

SPOKEN:My 1st performance ever was Spoken Word in 2008, the 1st time I touched the mic I received an standing ovation. When hitting the stage for the 1st time with Stand Up Comedy I receive the same as well. I actually entreated Stand Up Comedy in a 3 week competition. I later on end up winning $500, and that was just the beginning, the birth. Of course I was nervous, but once I touch the mic all of that flew out the window. It's do or die, that's my mindset. Nothing else matters!

ASC: What makes you different from other comedians in your eyes?

SPOKEN:When I'm upset, surprised, or anything my eyes tell it all. I've learned how to channel my eyes in certain ways through my jokes. At times I don't even have to say a word, I let my eyes do the talking and people are laughing. That's what makes me different. But most importantly I stand out out of the majority of comedians because I'm an actual artist. I do not only perform stand up comedy, I perform comedy-poetry during my stand up performances and sing as well. Guess you can call me a Jamie Foxx, except I'm not him, I'm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment